It’s been a while since I baked something vegan (I blame the 100 degree weather), but recently I made some simple vegan cookies. A common misconception is that vegans don’t have dessert–or if we do it’s made from tree bark.
Actually this vegan cookie recipe is not only easy but low on calories and fun to make.
All you need is oatmeal, a brown banana and peanut butter (I use a more expensive vegan brand).
Now a few things to keep in mind with this recipe, 1, oatmeal unless specified is usually not gluten-free, 2, you can add extra ingredients like vanilla and nutmeg to change your cookies flavor, and finally 3, these cookies don’t have any eggs or dairy so they don’t need to be cooked, but I recommend you do it–just for the cookie taste.
Vegan Banana and Oatmeal Cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes Bake time: 15 minutes* Serves: 6 cookies*
- 1 cup instant oats oatmeal
- 1 tbs of vegan peanut butter
- 1 brown banana
- half a bag of vegan chocolate chips*
- First you’ll want to start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the oven is baking, you’ll start off by taking the brown banana, peel it, and put it into a large bowl. Then smash the banana with a spoon till it looks mashed liked baby food.
- After the banana has been smashed add in the cup of oatmeal and mix well.
- Then add the peanut butter to the mix and mix well until the peanut butter is well spread.
- Next add your extra ingredients, such as vegan chocolate chips. Mix for one final time.
- Once all the ingredients are well mixed take out a baking sheet or cookie sheet and using a spoon scoop out one spoonful of your mixed batter. Dap the spoonful onto the cookie sheet and using the back of the spoon press down on the dollop of batter. This is to make it look like a cookie. Repeat until you run out of batter.
- Once the oven reaches the desired temperature put in the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes after baking.
*So these cookies don’t need to be baked but if you like them crunchy then you’ll have to back the cookies.
*The serving size depends on how big you want your cookies. Because the batter has no baking soda, the cookies will not spread like normal cookies so you don’t have to worry about spacing when placing them on the cookie sheet.
*You don’t have to put in chocolate chips any extras like dried raisins will work as well.